Wednesday, 16 April 2008

Cafe con Leche

So lately I have become a little obsessed with coffee. Strangely enough, the obsession coincided with the purchase of a new Moka pot. My initial failure to produce a decent crema sparked days of research and experimentation with water volume, temperature, grinds, finally resulting in an incredible brew. Below is a photo essay of the process :)


Measuring the exact amount of beans to grind. I am using some freshly roasted Celebes beans, from the Indonesian island of Sulawesi. It's a smooth and nutty medium roast.


The beans are then ground using an old 1950's Austrian Burr grinder. It took a lot of experimentation to find the perfect grind


Ground beans are loaded into the Brikka which is then screwed together and placed on the stove. I take this opportunity to heat and froth some milk.


After about two minutes the Brikka's valve opens, and steam forces the water through the coffee grinds at the precise pressure needed to produce an amazing thick crema.


The end product, a perfect cup of coffee, on par with some of the best espresso I have ever had.


No comments: